- Are you considering Laser surgery for your piles treatment ?
- Are you someone who has recently undergone laser surgery for piles ?
- Are you wondering what you should and should not do to avoid any problems post laser operation ?
What is laser surgery for piles ?
If you are someone considering to opt for Laser surgery as treatment for piles here is what you should know : laser surgery for piles is a popular and safe procedure that offers several advantages over traditional surgery. It is a daycare procedure that promises quick and speedy recovery. Compared to other surgical treatments, laser effectively treats piles and improves symptoms related to it. After the surgery there is no or minimal postoperative pain. Similar benefits are seen for patients with severe anal spasms, external thrombosis, fissure, and sentinel tags, fistula & varicose veins.
Suggested Reading: Can Aloe Vera be a Natural Treatment for Piles ?
Why is laser surgery a good treatment option ?
Laser treatment for piles is an aesthetically best procedure. It keeps the natural and physical capabilities of the body well preserved as the anal sphincter action is not damaged, minimising any chances of faecal leak. There is also no need for general anesthesia in the procedure, local or spinal anesthesia is given to the patient before the beginning of the laser surgery.
A few more worth noticing advantages are :
- Less operation time.
- Patient is discharged within a few hours after observation.
- There is fast recovery.
- Patients can go back to their routine life in 3-5 days.
- Laser provides greater surgical precision.
- The treatment is suture less
- There are no scars.
- No cuts or stitches.
- Quick relief from the symptoms.
- Less blood loss during surgery.
- No or minimal postoperative pain
- There is reduced risk of infection.
- Reduced risk of rectal stenosis.
- Reduced risk of rectal prolapse.
- Recurrence rate is very low.
- Fewer doctor visits post-surgery.
- High success rates.
DOs and Don’ts after Laser Piles Surgery
If you have undergone laser piles surgery or are planning to get the procedure done, it’s always smart to be well prepared beforehand and know what you should and shouldn’t do after the procedure is completed.
Here is a list of simple Dos and Don’ts that you must follow for a speedy recovery.
DOs after laser piles surgery :
- After the surgery, eat low residue foods that don’t add bulk to your stool
- Start with clear liquids to prevent nausea, vomiting, and constipation.
- Soup, jelly, juices, popsicles are soft and easy to digest.
- Drink plenty of water, at least 8 large glasses a day.
- After a few days you can start eating more solid foods like mashed potatoes, soft-cooked vegetables and healthy proteins.
- Keep consuming ample amounts of water to prevent constipation.
- To prevent future hemorrhoids, high-fiber foods make the best choice.
- Eat lots of whole grains, green leafy vegetables, and fruits.
- Use an ice pack to reduce irritation and swelling, if any.
- Sitz baths are good for you as they have a very soothing and healing effect.
- Keep the anal area clean and dry.
- Maintain a comfortable sitting posture.
- Use soft cushions for sitting.
- Pay scheduled visits to your doctor for checkups.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you experience pain or discomfort.
- Inform your doctor if you have constipation or diarrhoea.
- Inform your doctor if you experience bleeding or leaking.
- Get a checkup done before you begin exercising or weight training.
- Keep your doctor updated about your recovery.
DON’Ts after laser piles surgery :
- Don’t start eating heavy foods that add bulk to your stool and make bowel movements hard.
- Avoid foods that cause constipation such as dairy products like cheese and hard to digest proteins like red meat.
- Foods made from refined flour and processed foods such as pizza, frozen dinners, pasta should be completely avoided.
- Sugar products such as cakes, pies, pastries, doughnuts can cause constipation.
- Drinks containing caffeine should not be consumed.
- Avoid scratching the area of surgery.
- Do not probe the area of surgery or the anal area.
- Avoid rubbing towel or toilet paper over the area, clean with warm water spray.
- Do not apply any creams, jellies or ointments without your doctor’s prescription.
- Take stool softeners and laxatives as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not strain while passing stools.
- Do not apply pressure during bowel movements.
- Don’t squat or sit in the toilet for long periods of time.
- Do not lift heavy weights.
- Do not perform weight training routines.
Laser piles surgery is one of the most important breakthroughs in the successful treatment of piles. Following a good diet and routine after the surgery along with taking precautions can result in tremendous results which can make lives piles free and comfortable.