What is Piles?
Piles also known as hemorrhoids, is a gastrointestinal disease. Piles causes bleeding from the anal region and this bleeding occurs due to swollen veins and inflammation in the rectum. This blog is going to define about piles treatment, symptoms and types in detail.
Piles itself exists and appears as swollen and inflammed tissue in the anal area. These swollen and inflamed tissues present in the anal area can be of different sizes. They can be present both inside or outside the anus. Ones present inside the anus are known as internal piles and the ones present outside are called external piles. It is possible for an individual to have both internal and external piles at the same time. Piles a significantly common issue amongst people and the risk of getting piles increases with increasing age. Everyone who follows a bad diet, improper lifestyle and is lazy are at risk of developing piles. Being a very common issue, it’s important for everyone to learn how to identify the risks and know about the management and treatment of piles.
Types of piles
Piles are of two types, internal and external and internal piles are more common form of piles.
While Internal piles are located about 2 and 4 centimeters above the opening of the anus, whereas external piles occur on the outside edge of the and exists as small lumps, outside or around the edge of the anus.
They are generally very itchy and can also become painful if a blood clot develops. This blood clot can block the flow of blood and at this stage it requires immediate medical attention.
Suggested Reading: Six signs of piles
Learn about the symptoms.
Piles is an easily identifiable disease. However, during the initial stages when a person has piles the symptoms can be confusing and hard to identify.
To know whether you may have piles or not, look out for the following symptoms – p
- Check if you’re bleeding from anal region.
- Check for the presence of bright red blood visible in the pot after passing stool.
- Your bleeding can be painless.
- You may experience pain in the anus.
- You can experience pain while passing stool.
- There can be itching in the anus.
- You may feel the presence of lumps in the anus.
- These lumps can be hard and painful.
- These lumps may look red, pink or purple upon inspection.
- Skin around the anus can get red and itchy.
- You can experience discomfort while passing stool.
- You may feel soreness in the anus.
- There can be a nagging feeling of fullness in bowels even after passing stools.
- There can be presence of slimy mucus in your underwear around the anal region.
- There can be presence of slimy mucus around your anus that may drip from your anus.
Check whether or not you have these symptoms as most of these indicate towards having piles. However, If you’re still unable to understand and identify these symptoms, meet your physician and get an examination done.
About Piles Treatment
If you’re suffering from piles, don’t lose hope because a variety of treatment options are available to cure piles and make the quality of your life better.
Most of Piles treatments primarily focus on healthy lifestyle changes and proper hygiene. To relieve pain and discomfort associated with piles oral medications or topical medication are given. There are also minimally invasive procedures, LASER procedures and surgical procedures to completely cure piles.
Following are the options you can look for –
- Healthy diet changes like adding more fibre to diet, drinking ample amount of water and reducing processed food intake.
- Healthy lifestyle changes like exercising, doing yoga and getting regular health check ups more often
- Your Health care provider can prescribe oral medications for pain.
- Your health care provider can prescribe oral medications or topical creams for reducing inflammation.
- Your doctor can prescribe topical medications like creams and ointments to relieve pain and itching.
- Your gastrointestinal surgeon and specialist can suggest surgical removal of haemorrhoids
- Removal of piles via LASER treatment can be done.
Suggested Reading: Top 6 Natural Treatments for Piles
Piles is not only associated with pain and discomfort, but it is also associated with fear of judgment. This fear of judgment which surrounds piles, is the reason behind the silence of people suffering from it. Fear of judgment can make it hard for people to open about their pain and seek proper help and it’s important that we break this silence.
Piles when identified at an early stage and treated properly is curable. There are a variety of treatment options available to reduce the discomfort caused by the disease and make lifestyle easier and better.